If you are a traveling enthusiast, you will certainly agree that the United States has some of the finest national parks in the world. The Yellowstone National Park especially towers above the rest for its rich history, diverse ecosystem, and the beautiful natural features. But do you know the features that make the Yellowstone Park so popular. Are you also aware that the park received a massive three million visitors in 1992? Well, this guide highlights the many unique features that make The Yellowstone park a popular destination with travel enthusiasts. Read on.
A Brief background of the Yellowstone National Park:
This famous park was started way back in 1872 during the reign of former U.S President Ulysses S. Grant. The park strides between three states namely the Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana with the larger chunk falling in the Wyoming state. And talking of its size, the Yellowstone National Park covers a massive 3467 square miles making it larger than the Rhode Island.
Top 10 features that make Yellowstone National Park standout:
- To start with, the park was established back in 1872 making it the very first national park in the United States.
- The Grand Canyon located in the park is among the largest canyons in the United States. The canyon is a massive twenty miles long, almost 4,000-feet wide and some areas are 1,200-feet deep. It’s simply breathtaking.
- The Old Faithful geyser, one of the most popular sites of the park, erupts every 90 minutes making it one of the most predictable natural features in the world.
- The park has more than 300 active geysers distributed unevenly throughout the park. This is in addition to some 10,000 other geothermal features.
- Two hundred and ninety of the waterfalls in the park are well over 15 feet tall. They also flow all year-round.
- The park is home to a large variety of free roaming wildlife including buffaloes, the grizzly bears, moose, herds of elk among many others.
- The park was the first to be declared a U.N. Biosphere Reserve. It’s also been named a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Besides being home to thousands of untamed animals, the park also houses a federal judge, an F.B.I. agent and a jail. This definitely gives it a unique outlook.
- The Yellowstone National Park volcano is the only active super volcano located on the earth. The other 29 active super volcanoes are all placed in water bodies.
- The park experiences up to 2000 earthquakes yearly.
Yellowstone National Park is the ideal getaway for wildlife lovers and the adventurous types. The flora, fauna and geysers all make it spectacularly beautiful and inviting.